At Periodontal Consultants in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Dr. Ali M Arastu and our team actively support our patients to prevent gum disease by maintaining excellent oral hygiene habits. This includes taking care of both teeth and gums, including flossing. Today we would like to share just a little about how to floss your smile!
Food particles are extremely tricky to completely remove, as residue can usually be found hiding in pockets around your teeth and gums. Brushing and flossing slowly and efficiently have been shown to be much more effective in the elimination of plaque buildup than relying on speed and strength. To help you improve your flossing for a better smile, consider the following dental floss techniques for optimum oral health:
– Never use random materials for dental floss. Only use floss or interdental cleaners recommended by your dentist.
– Choose dental floss that has the American Dental Association ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Prevent damage to your teeth and gums by flossing softly and safely.
– When flossing, use a piece between 16-20 inches in length. Move to a different section of thread for each tooth. Use a gentle motion to move to or from each tooth.
– Don’t forget to floss between every single tooth and behind your back teeth.
– Always floss at least once per day.
– Avoid using floss that can easily tear or fray.
– Be sure to visit your dentist at Periodontal Consultants for your professional cleanings as scheduled.
To schedule an oral exam with your periodontist, Dr. Ali M Arastu, please call us tody at 215-463-6677 to speak to a member of our team. Our office is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and we look forward to helping you achieve and maintain a beautiful, healthy smile!